In the past, business relied on installed software to handle their integration needs, typically called ESBs (Enterprise Service Bus). Managing systems that needed to pass data between each other internally, as well as with outside partners, required a whole department. Between complex integration configurations and software license management, businesses had to dedicate many of resources in order to successfully support their infrastructure.
But in today’s world, where cloud-based and SaaS are common terms, businesses are shifting towards a new solution. The ability to integrate their internal systems and their external partners without having to maintain software updates and licensing is providing business real value and the ability reduce resources needed for integration. Businesses are turning towards iPaaS solutions.
What is iPaaS?
The term iPaaS (Integration Platform as a Service) has emerged for companies that seek to provide a cloud-based integration service. An iPaaS solution is a platform that provides businesses the ability to integrate their enterprise solutions with the cloud, connect and unify data flows from other systems, and communicate with external partner’s systems.
There are many reasons why these solutions are providing value to today’s businesses. The growing trend to cloud-based solutions is changing the business landscape and companies are adapting.
Why is it better?
1. It’s easier and quicker to implement. With cloud-based platforms, you have access to the platform tools the moment you sign-up. There’s no need for on-premise installation, software updates, or complex security integrations. As well, some providers offer professional service resources to aide in the initial setup. Since this doesn’t take place on-site, these integrations can be completed within days, not months.
2. It’s more flexible. Cloud-based integration models give businesses the ability to connect all their systems and partners to one central location. This gives your business the agility to adapt to the rapidly changing business environment. A new system or tool is available every day to provide your business better value, but the challenge comes when it needs to integrate into your existing architecture. An iPaaS solution ensures you can integrate new systems quickly and effectively.
3. It’s cheaper. Because you are not buying software and licenses, iPaaS solutions are cheaper. Most run on subscription-based models which results in better value, more flexibility, and growth planning. You can’t return a piece of software after your done using it, but you can cancel your subscription when you no longer need it. It’s also much easier to plan for a small monthly cost compared to a one-time $50,000+ purchase.
An added benefit to subscription models is the new concept of customer success. Since you can cancel services at any time, SaaS companies are only successful if you are successful. So it is in their best interest to help you succeed. This concept means you will gain more from the services you purchase than ever before.
4. It’s more reliable. When you had to maintain on-premise solutions, you were responsible for the reliability and availability of your servers and systems. This meant spending extensive resources on server management, backup reliability, and maintenance. But with a cloud-based solution, this is no longer your problem to deal with. The service provider is responsible for server availability and because they offer their services to more than just you, they have the resources to provide better availability then you ever could in house. Babelway, for example, has 4 server locations with load balancing protection. This provides you with virtually 100% availability with no cost to you.
5. It’s more secure. A common concern for cloud-based solutions is security. But what if I told you cloud-based solutions were actually more secure? Enterprise architecture often praises the security of the firewall and draws way from data integration and transfer outside of it. But the reality is, cloud-based solutions often adhere to stricter security guidelines than your own company. Also, because it lives outside the firewall, you control what data these integration platforms have access to.
See what some companies have told us about switching to an iPaaS solution and why they chose Babelway:
The only justification for upgrades is often just the fact that you need to keep up with the software company. With Babelway and SaaS in general, the responsibility and cost of software releases are eliminated.
-Lactalis Northern Europe, Belgium and Netherlands subsidiary of a global diary distribution network
With Babelway, we have been able to achieve 80% faster onboarding of new partner projects, while freeing IT resources and cutting operational costs by 65%
-Wabco, the No.1 global supplier of vehicle technologies and control systems
Ok I’m convinced, how do I switch?
Some things in this article are not new. The business world has been moving towards cloud-based solutions for a while now and there are many emerging companies that seek to provide value here. But the biggest challenge is the idea of tradition and legacy. Some companies have established architecture that has been built so long ago, no one at the companies really knows how it was configured. The thought of upgrading to a new integration solution is so daunting, it seems better to stick with the old model, even if it’s broken.
Understanding how this will work isn’t something you need to stress over – because we have already stressed over it – and solved it! We at Babelway believe that this decision, though important, doesn’t have to be complicated. We look at each company that works with us as a partner, where our success is tied together. We’ve done this before and we know what things you need to consider when switching to a cloud-based integration platform. We can help you build a plan for migration or new implementation. And once you are set up and running, we’ll continue to be your partner, helping you add each new integration channel.
Let’s schedule a time to discuss the transition with you, just let us know when you’re available.
Or if you’d rather like to try out our platform yourself, you can sign up for a free trial.